Sunday, May 28, 2006

keep pillin'

for today's obligatory 3 random facts:

1) apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking u up in the morning. (surprise surprise)

2)The first owner of Malboro died of lung cancer.

3)all US presidents wear glasses. Some just didnt like to be seen in them in public.

Today was a really eventful day. It events just seemed to keep pillin and pillin.

First, my DAD called in the morning, which was a rare miracle in itself. out of the blue. And after speaking to him for about 8 min, he calls agains, and this time we conferenced called by sister in LA and bro in singapore, how cool was that!!! It really really made my day.

We talked endlessly, i never realised how frustrating conference calls can be cuz everyone can speak together at a time. But u know, this was the very first time i realized how politically inclined all 3 of my dad's children has become. its pretty amazing. I mean, the kids can actually argue with their dad now! Our conversation felt so intensly political, if anything. Even my quiet, nothing-to-do-with-me brother praticipated! it was awesome..


the second mose eventful thing that happened was extremely physically gruelling, intensely hactic, incredibly amusing, frustratingly busy and refreshingly blessed...

all at the same time...


I volunteered at the local district fair, to face paint under my church's tent. I face painted at my school fair not too long ago, and realized i loved it and was particularly gifted at it too. So i tot this was an awesome oppurtunity to finally serve at church.

Anyways, the journey to church was literally a journey through mountains and valleys. The district was called"lynn VALLEY" and my home is at the other end of the vallies. It want too bad if werent for the fact that the car was being used and i had to bike up/down there.

Suffice to say, i had my month's work-out trudging up the valley and my month's heart's content of exhileration speeding down the valley, nearly flying forward off my bike.

So i finally got there and spent 30 mins looking for the tent in the dense crowd. When i finally got there, these 3 old ladies were concealed in a swarm of little children and their parents, with the occasional high school girls ;).

As soon as i introduce myself as Ivan, they get up and offer me their sets, obviously wanting to escape the horror of painting on more faces.

Haha, anyways, i took over 2 of the three, and never painting so many faces in my life. well, obviously... i think by the end of the day, i painted 20 faces. which is very many, mind u.

As stressful as it was, it was still incredibly fun, and i would do it again. They were mostly little girls though, so i did lotsa butterflies and flowers. i was really hopin to do a tiger, the most fun in my opinion. But there was this little girl who asked for flames! haha that was pretty funny. And there was the little 7.5 months old baby girl, the cutest thing on the face of the Earth no doubt! but as soon as i stroked my brush on her radiantly smiling face, she started crying and squerming.. i wanted to stop, but her parents forced me to continue over my better judgement, and i apologised profusely to the poor, anguished girl.. and of course to little effect, as if she would understand english in the first place.

the 3rd best thing that happened today was meeting a magnificent 26 yr old lady.

Lets just say that i've been noticing a lady with the most angelic voice for the past 2.5 years at church. Of course the voice was complemented by contestable looks and personality. After the old ladies decided to pack and go, this clown comes over and takes over, allowing me to remain with her to continue painting.

And i realize that under that ridiculous make up and funky clothes was that lady! Lily is her name...

So finally when we started packing (we were the last stand to close) we got time to talk a little.

"are u in the worship team?"

"yeah i was. but i quit because i hardly have time for church now."

"oh thats a pity. i know u've got a great voice" remembering the first time i discovered her. that was when i sat next to her during worship, and we unconciously harmonized with each other! haha

Then, its as if i suddenly hit her on her heart strings, she began to open up most immediately.

"yeah i know. But u know, i'm having troubles with that. I know i have a talent, but i'm not content just being a back-up, and i'm very frank with that at church. and everyone keeps telling me to have humility and all, but i just cant accept that i cant use my voice in a more powerful way. Its like i'm not going to learn to be humble and just store my gift away, just not to show off."

oh my gosh. she was talking about me, as much as she was about herself.

i'm not about to type out my entire conversation, but we essentially had a very personal conversation, and i told her about how i was struggling with the exact same thing, and that i was purposely tossed to the other end of the globe and isolated from participating in church activities so that I would learn to be humble and patient for God's time.

She reminded me, in the most eere way, of myself. She would refuse to listen to secular music and only wanted to use her talents in church, just like i had before.

I hope my message to her got thru though. Are we really trying to serve God or ourselves?

There was a definite reason i face painted today. After 2.5 years and a month before i leave canada for good, i met lily, for a great purpose, only God had planned. And i thank God for his gentle reminder - to the both of us.




In Christ alone, i place my trust
And fine the glory in the powet of the Cross

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger